1.26.2020

Research & Conventions Horror Genre Film (2017, HAPPY DEATH DAY)

Image result for happy death day
During my research, I decided to watch multiple horror movies to get a better understanding of what characterizes the horror genre. One of the movies I chose to watch was Happy Death Day. Happy Death Day is a horror movie that was released in 2017 and was quite successful. I decided on this film as it is both recent and popular, which makes it a good representation of current horror films. Throughout the film, I recorded the editing, sound, camera angles, and Mis-En-Scene that was used in the movie. Camera Angles Common camera angles used in Happy Death Day include medium closeups, which were often used when showing the antagonist. Other camera angles that were often used over the shoulder shots, two shots, long shots and close ups. Movement Very commonly used movements in Happy Death Day were zoom ins and zoom outs. Pans and tracking shots are also used heavily throughout the film to show scenes in which the protagonist is running or being chased.

Editing Commonly used editing techniques in Happy Death Day are jump cuts, cut aways, and cross cutting. These techniques add a suspense to the film and amplify the horror in the film. There is also a montage towards the middle of the film. Sound The film does not have a lot of background noise in most of the scenes and focuses on the dialogue. However, when the antagonist is on screen and after the protagonist, there is intense music to add a fear factor of the scene. Elements of the genre I enjoyed I enjoyed the repeating day concept used in the movie which is not used very often in the horror genre. It added an interesting element to the film and fueled the plot well. Although misdirects are used a lot in horror films, I also like the use of misdirection in the film. Elements of the genre I disliked During the movie, I wasn’t very fond of the constantly bright lighting as I felt it made the film less scary. I also felt the mask that the antagonist wore took away the fear for me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Filming Blog: NO FILMING TOOK PLACE

Hi Blog!   Unfortunately filming couldn't happen the past week, there were a couple of events that took place during this time. I'...